Translate

Sunday 14 October 2012

Green smoothies

Green Smoothies

I'm usually most productive if I start my day with a green smoothie. I'm not a big breakfast person, but I've found that if I drink a smoothie before I leave the house, I can resist having the morning "Gipfeli " on my way to the lab. I make enough for breakfast and to sip on during the day when my energy levels are low. Here's a recipe that I adapted from various books and web sites:

Green Smoothie

Ingredients

2 Tbs Chia seeds
2 Tbs Linseeds
1-2 cm piece of ginger, peeled 
2-3 dates (seeds removed) or any other sweetener such as erythritol or coconut nectar  (optional) 
Frozen pineapple, (about 1/4 to 1/3 of a whole pineapple, cut into 2 cm pieces before freezing)
1 orange, peeled and cut into eighths 
1-2 large handfuls of greens (baby spinach, kale, bok choy or romaine lettuce)
1 tray of ice cubes (filtered water)
100 - 150 ml filtered water or coconut milk
1-2 tsp coconut oil 

Preparation
  1. Place the seeds in the TM bowl, and process on speed 10 for 10 sec
  2. Add ginger and dates, and process on speed 10 for 5 sec
  3. Add remaining ingredients and process on speed 10 for 1.30 to 2.00 minutes.
  4. Pour into a glass and enjoy. Keep the remainder in a Thermos for a boost for later.


Note: Any fruit can be used, apples, peaches, berries are great. To limit the morning stress, I try to prepare my fruit in advance. Just wash, peel, cut and freeze the fruit in zip-lock bags. You'll also have a stock for Fruity Dream (Sorbet).









 A green smoothie and a cup of Crio BrĂ¼ - the perfect way to begin the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment